Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ghost-Bride-A-Novel/dp/0062227327


Wow, this is something, this book is worth reading! Despite my ethnicity and my brought up, this book has brought me through a whole new paranormal world which I have never thought I would even come across. 

What this book has done was that it builds up a common nostalgic yet eerie feeling within me during the course of reading. I am able to relate to this world so well it is because during my tender years of 5 to 10, I've heard so much of these superstitions that made me cringe and weird out and never wanting to listen to it anymore.


For years, I've been listening to all these myths and legends about the afterlife (in the South-East-Asian-Chinese context) and never once I am able to enjoy this as much as any other author who has ever attempted this part of the world. Bravo!

I love how the author described the paranormal world so well that you are immediately sucked into the world without fear but with a hint of wanting to solve the mystery based on the afterlife's knowledge. Clever! I felt so homey when the author includes some slang such as Aiya! or some Malayan/Malaysian delicacies which made me salivate even just by reading it. 

The romance part, let me repeat, THE ROMANCE PART, never was I expecting such a love twist to be conveyed in a historical-cultural-paranormal book. I mean, are you kidding me? (in a good way). Recognizable "Star-Wars" plot twist found too which made me go... Ooooooo, this is wild!!

Many compliments on how this book describes the beauty of Malacca before the Japanese Occupation invades during the World War II. The history and political system of Malacca back then was very precised on how marriages back then between China and Malaya meant a certain degree of relationship between inter-countries.

In all honesty, I love how this book ends. Leaving you wanting more. Lastly, thank you Ms Choo for the wonderful ride.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Review Link

No comments:

Post a Comment