Thursday, March 26, 2015

Book To Movie Review 01: A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (2004)

 

So, I've been reading the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket for the past few months and am currently at the 6th book and still thoroughly enjoyed my journey with the Baudelaire's children. In view to that, I took up the courage by watching the movie adaptation which was aired in 2004, in which it comprises the first 3 books of the series.

The kids were very well cast and Count Olaf is being acted by none other than the famous comedian, Jim Carrey. I have leveled my expectations to be lower. In fact, we all know that a book to movie adaptations can only do so much in within a limited time frame and books are like everything end to end. 

The movie has captured the essence of how pitiful these kids were but I didn't feel the connection with them as to how I read the books. Mind you, they portrayed the characters very well however I don't see the chemistry with them as an audience. I can't feel for them, especially while they were grieving. Call me cold blooded or anything, I've literally seen some really good grieving scenes by a young kid before and it moves me.

It was done chronologically with minor sequence that has been altered by making the ending with a greater impact. It works but I think it doesn't really reflects any differences. Anyway, it's for the best and I think it's done really great too, no matter how much I've been trying not to be all micro about it.

All in all, the movie has great entertaining values and it's a feel good family drama.

Ratings: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment