Sunday, March 29, 2015

Book To Movie Review 02: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling (2001)


What can I say? It's the ever classic Harry Potter (HP) movie series. After reading the first book from the series, I can't wait to re-watch it once more to get Diagon Alley right in my mind, to get Hogwarts right with my mental image that I had.

I wouldn't say that the movie was perfection, many plot was butchered for the sake of the movie run time and cutting down casting purposes (I suppose). For many has claimed that the first 2 movies are the closest to the book. Nonetheless, I have my reservations still for the book. No matter how great the movie it can be, the book still has a special place in my heart because of how the voices of each characters were being portrayed in the book.

Side note, I have a guilty confession, I wasn't EVEN aware of "The Lord of the Rings (LOTR)" series at all back then and I have opt to watch this movie instead because I have read the book and was excited about it. Nevertheless, that near 12 hours of LOTR is still one of the best movie adaptation instead of the HP series. Let's not dwell into that right now since I'm reviewing the HP series and it's a whole different 'audience' genre.

The beginning was a tad bid rush on introducing the obnoxious Dursley. I remember laughing my heads off on how spoiled Dudley was and how crazy he could be when both Vernon & Petunia have to even kowtow to him in the book. Many was being cut for I know they may have be the main casting characters but they are very well portrayed.

Plot wise was done right in this movie. Not too rush, not too draggy either. Moreover, the scenic of how Hogwarts looks like was fantastic. The great hall was magnificently majestic and Diagon Alley looks mystical as how the book has spelled out.

The ending was not too rush, and how the movie builds up by allowing the audience to have a sense of rooting the House of Gryffindor is strongly given. Magical, whimsical & humorous is what the movie has to give, what more can you ask for in the first installment? One can expect that watching a feel good family drama movie is to enjoy the introduction phase, hence the first of the series has a lot of hope and anticipation for the next installment with greater fun and enthusiasm. Bravo!

Ratings: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment