Saturday, January 30, 2016

Bear, Otter, and the Kid 01 - Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune

http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2472

Well, if you do not know by now, this is TJ Klune's book and it is part of a series. This is not my first book from this author and I think this is one of his best contemporary LGBT genre I've read so far. You would know whether the author has great writing skills, and this one does because he plays with my emotions while I'm reading it. Not fair! Anyway, he's the type of writer that draws you in real quick, and it is the very minute you start reading the first sentence, let's just say paragraph. I'm trying very hard not to sound over exaggerated here.

All of his characters were so well thought off and I can't seem to fathom how much I can relate to all of them -- especially the bonding of these 2 brothers, the Kid and Bear. The bonding between this 2 brothers were so strong that you know that nothing can ever tears them apart. Great moments of joy, sadness and laughter were portrayed so well when the siblings were having their assurance for one another on how much they love each no matter what ugly comes their way.

Love interest between Bear and Otter was not a smooth ride. The hiding, the struggles, the pain and the frustrations were all spelled out progressively instead of throwing it all into the readers face with just pure lust. The built up of their relationship was very well-paced rather than heading down the cheesy and lusty romance route where you can find it in practically most of the New Adults genre these days. Sexy scenes were in it but it's never the main spinal of the plot line. Thank God!

I'm not going to discuss about the plot because many who has read this book referenced it with the movie Shelter back in 2007. I've had my fair bit of curiosity on what the fuss is about. So, I've watched it and came to a conclusion that it was really closely adapted BUT the connection in the movie was not doing anything for me as an audience in as much as reading this book is concern. That movie is heavily on self-discovery and just romance based for each other; this book has family values written all over it with real love and support.

Many might think this is plagiarism between the movie and the book, but I think this ending has taken to a whole new level of anti-climatic journey which no readers were expecting that sort of turning point and it works really really well. How it ends was even a greater blow in which you, as readers, would want to know what is it for all of them in their next chapter. Such a good read!

Ratings: 5 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Review Link

No comments:

Post a Comment