Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Paper Towns by John Green

http://www.bookdepository.com/Paper-Towns-John-Green/9780142414934/?a_aid=jbblkh

Alright, it's been a year now that I last read a book from John Green. Well, it's somewhat the obvious which book I've read and it's none other than the famous "The Fault In Our Stars". Now this one has a different take in life. Was it darker? Yeah, I find this a bit darker in terms of past witness and experiences in life. 

Many would argued that this book is nothing great or fantastic, but I beg to defer because this book has a stronger message on how one person is handling shocked in their previous years and how are they managing or coping with such trauma in reality. First off, bravo to John Green for such an exquisite point in life that has been written boldly by fictionalizing these characters into reality.

I see 2 sides of the story. Yes, this book was written as a first person writing, however you can see that there were 2 examples of how a family groomed these kids into a teenager with different methods. What comes out of it? How did these kids react towards their parent's parenting? Life is complicated even when both are facing the same trauma. It all boils down to the essence of how one family's teaching could succumb to a result of today.

We are being introduced with Quentin, Margo, Ben and Radar. Character wise, they are very dear to our hearts and we are able to relate these characters in the actual reality. Elements of wittiness, teenage humor, mysteriously solving puzzles and cunningly smart which captures my attention through out my reading span. Events of their revenge and trip are the highlights of the book.

Was there a social concern message in this? I would say it has a hint of subtlety but it wasn't as obvious as I thought it should be. However, the turn of event was what every reader would be expecting. Clues after clues in this book to search for the untraceable was another drive and plus point of the book to see how far they would go. Will they go to the ends of the world for it?

The definition of Paper Towns is clearly stated and I love how it was being used as a reference of a real place as well as the metaphorical inevitable life experience that 2 person is facing in their lives. Moreover, I was on a road trip with all of them ya'll. It was one of those fun ride with 'danger' being encountered during their embarking of their wonderful road trip.

I like how this book ends and I think everyone should give this book a chance because it is really fun. Remember, never forget what the real message has to give in this book.

Few of my favorite quotes in the book:-

"I have this thing that makes me really uninterested in prom shoes. It's called a penis"

"The longer I do my job" he said, "the more I realize that humans lack good mirrors. It's so hard for anyone o show us how we look, and so hard for us to show anyone how we feel"

Ratings: 4.8 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Review Link

No comments:

Post a Comment